Mold and Mildew

When you have a home, a common desire is to have it as clean as possible. So it can be quite a dismay to discover a rather unwelcome fuzzy growth on a surface or wall. However, just what is? It could be mold or it could be mildew. It’s easy for the everyday homeowner to confuse mold and mildew with each other. They’re both from the fungi family and can appear to be just as fuzzy and in the same hue, too! So what are the differences between the two? In what ways are they the same? Read on and we’ll give you some basic information to give you a better understanding on what mold and mildew is.

Both grow rapidly in warm and moist areas. They both may grow in several surfaces that aren’t restricted to your walls or kitchen counters. Mold and mildew can grow even on food, paper, and wood.

Now, let’s talk about differences. Mildew is a basic surface fungus that shows up in hues of gray or even white. We say it’s a basic surface on since mildew never breaks past the outer layer of a surface. So if you find a patch of gray or white on your kitchen sink and it can be wiped away, you’re dealing with mildew. Some mildew can be tough to remove, particularly if they’ve been there a while. However, it is to the relief of many a homeowner that mildew can be removed with a store bought cleaning agent, a trusty scrubbing brush, and some elbow grease.

Mold, on a comparative note, is notably a more serious infestation in a home than mildew. Mold appears in large splotches of black and gray. Fungus can also have a slimy texture when moved.  This fungus can appear fuzzier than its cousin, especially when it’s on food. If ever you’ve seen mold on bread, you’d know that when you pinch out the affected areas, you’ll have to go deep. Of course, it is advised to just simply throw out the bread as some mold infestations may not have developed its signature black and gray color yet. Now when it comes to a home, mold penetrates deep just like it does in food. If you pry away boards, it’s a high possibility that you’ll have even more spores growing underneath. This can be quite dangerous as certain strains of mold can lead to some serious and even deadly health complications for humans.

While removing mildew can be easy when detected early, mold is an entirely different story. When mold infestation is massive, the removal procedure can be rather intrusive in nature. Depending on the type of mold you find in your home, you may have to use some heavy duty cleaners or even call in some experts to rid you of your problem. If it’s something you can handle by yourself, be sure to wear gloves, long sleeved clothes (to minimize the chance of mold getting into contact with your skin), and surgical masks (to minimize the chance of you inhaling airborne spores).

When you see mold or mildew in your home, it’s best to deal with it as soon as you conceivably can. Never ever hesitate to contact the pros if you’re not sure on whether you have mold or mildew in your home. It will save you a lot of hassle and a lot of money in the long run.